Followers

Saturday, April 16, 2016

8 Fascinating Things We Learned About The Mind In 2015 Response

“Good sleep is critical to a healthy emotional life” (23). I couldn’t have said it better myself. For the last past few years, I have been depriving myself of good sleep, staying up really late to memorize information for exams and complete projects and assignments. This has had a detrimental effect on my life in general, more so my emotional life. I have become so overwhelmed with stress, that I have allowed it to turn into something bigger than it was. I am an emotional rollercoaster and every day feels like I am on the brink of a mental breakdown.
Stress is common and a little stress can be healthy, however, stress from college and scholarship applications, never ending homework assignments, extensive projects, a dysfunctional home life, financial struggles and a poor social life has worn me out. Add in a lack of sleep and a lack of proper nutrition, my engine is ready to stop running.
Typically I get about 3-4 hours of sleep a night. This isn’t even a good snooze. Lack of sleep not only makes people grumpy, but it also causes accidents, higher one’s risk for a plethora of heart related diseases, is linked with depression and ages skin faster. So I am depriving myself of sleep to get into a college or university that only sees me as a dollar sign, earn a piece of paper that doesn’t guarantee a job, rack up tens of thousands of dollars in debt, only to look old, and be grumpy and depressed while suffering from a heart related disease. Is completing that twenty-five point assignment actually worth it?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I turned this in as an assignment for school, and my teacher never even tried to make sure I was okay. This was a warning sign, a call for help, but people are too busy to listen. Where is a support system when you need one?

No comments:

Post a Comment